Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Thanksgiving Treats

It was a joy to be in sunny Los Angeles over Thanksgiving! I put my newfound pastry skills to good use and was also able to dabble a bit with culinary creativity.

Butternut Squash Soup with Sage infused Olive Oil and Crispy Sage Leaf
IMG_0028.JPG

I invented this recipe. I roasted butternut squash with olive oil, added non-dairy creamer and chicken stock, pureed all of these ingredients, and ran them through a sieve to make it smooth. Meanwhile, I infused olive oil with fresh sage and fried some pretty sage leaves. YUM!

Now onto dessert...Of course I had to have traditional pumpkin pie (used a combination of recipes, but added some allspice, dried cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon, brown sugar, regular sugar, 2 eggs and non dairy cream (Coffee Rich), and of course canned pumpkin puree. I used a short dough, which was great.

IMG_0030.JPG

I also made a Blueberry Pie, in honor of my brother-in-law, Burton. Burton likes only cherry and blueberry pies. Ask and you shall receive. Shortly I will upload the video from Thanksgiving Day about creating a lattice crust.

IMG_0029.JPG

Lastly, I made a Lemon Meringue Pie for my dad, who requested it. It is made with Lemon Curd and the Italian Meringue method. It was really good, definitely the sleeper hit!

IMG_0031.JPG

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Your pie crusts all look amazing! I am so impressed.

Zach said...

Ditto. Sorry I haven't checked in in a while, but I have to comment on that lattice work. Gorgeous!

Zach said...

P.S. Can you ship desserts from San Fran to Chicago? If so, I'll hire/commission you for Z's first birthday party!

I need to make him a cake without wheat or eggs b/c he has an anal dad who is worried about allergies :)