Monday, February 18, 2008

European Cakes

IMG_0111.JPG

The first semester at school focused on basic technique and the second semester is where we really get to have some fun! European cakes are generally made with a nut sponge or genoise (like the Princess cake above) and are therefore lower in fat than American cakes, but are truly elaborate and beautiful. We started the week tasked with making a Sacher Torte (chocolate almond cake with raspberry jam and chocolate glaze), a Zucherkirsch Torte (japonaise layers with a genoise layer, flavored with Kirsch and dusted with powdered sugar), a Gateau Marjolaine (a hazelnut daquoise with praline and mocha buttercream covered with gananche, and my favorite for bonus, a Princess cake. I was so determined to make the Swedish dessert, that I really hustled, stuck to my plan, and got it done.

The Princess Cake contains 1 layer of genoise, 1 layer of raspberry jam, another layer of genoise, a layer of pastry cream, another layer of genoise and finally stabilized whipped cream shaped like a dome with a thin layer of light green marizpan over the cake and a marzipan rose. I LOVED creating this beautiful cake, and my friend Lisa was the loving recipient of another one I made at home for her birthday!

Swedish Princess Cake
IMG_0110.JPG

Lisa's Birthday Cake, with a Gold Bow around the cake
IMG_0132.JPG

What's Inside the Princess Cake
IMG_0133.JPG

Gateau Marjolaine
IMG_0108.JPG

IMG_0106.JPG

Zucherkirsch Torte
IMG_0104.JPG

IMG_0103.JPG

Sacher Torte
IMG_0102.JPG

2 comments:

Unknown said...

are you allowed to make a pink princess cake?

Rachel Firestone said...

Yes, though traditionally green, pink princess cakes are allowed too! My co-worker asked me to make him a camouflaged princess cake to make it more manly, but I refused :)