Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Experimental Pumpkin Galette

I think my transformation to dedicated pastry student is in full effect, as last night, after returning home from a horrific day at work, I baked with the hopes of feeling better, and I did.

I wanted to use the leftover canned pumpkin from the pumpkin muffins I made on Sunday night. The format I chose for my pumpkin mixture was a galette. After making galettes in class, I wanted to practice making pate brisee, and figured I could wing the mixture. I leveraged different pumpkin pie filling recipes and decided to omit the sour cream and eggs that many them called for. (There is seriously enough butter in the dough that a little less eggs and cream is OK for a practice).

I used about 7 oz of dough for my mini galette. I rolled it out on silpat mats, cut the dough into a round using a pizza cutter, brushed the inside with egg wash, and added my filling (7 oz of pumpkin, 1/4 tsp of the following: cloves, nutmeg, allspice, 3.5 oz of brown sugar, and 3/4 tsp of cinnamon. I folded the ends of the dough into galette shape and FORGOT the egg wash on the side - Don't forget the egg wash on the side because I looks MUCH prettier with it.

After 20 mins in a 450 oven, I turned it down to 375 and baked it for about 40 minutes. Then I cut tiny pieces of the galette and served it with vanilla ice cream. It was the perfect treat for my husband and me, as we curled up on the couch and watched Heroes.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Woo hoo Rachel! Diggin' the blog! And, you look super happy being a student! You havin' a good time? When can I come over for the Fireprince chocolate chip cookies (i'm simple like that...)

Kevin

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Rachel Firestone said...

Thanks Kev, I am way past choc chip cookies now. How about a key lime tart?