Monday, October 8, 2007

Pastry 101

RFPmuffins.JPG

This blog will chronicle my journey towards becoming a Pastry Chef at Tante Marie's Professional Pastry Course in San Francisco. My decision to attend pastry school was one by default, but I know that in order to be a great chef, I also want to be a great pastry chef.

I come from a line of extraordinarily talented bakers, especially my grandmother, Angel, and her mother, Nana. Trips to Angel's included pie and pogies (Hungarian butter cookies) and delicious cakes. I can't remember an occasion where Angel was more offended than when I was 5 years old, took a bite of one of her delicious cakes and exclaimed, "This is great, is it a mix?" Unknown to me at the time, it was incredibly rude to ask the question, yet I loved mixes. It was the only thing that I knew, and my mom, who worked full time, did not have the extra time nor energy to bake a cake from scratch.

My experience with baking to this point has been minimal, at best. I've baked cookies for my brother on a few occasions and baked 2 cakes for Rosh Hashana, and one (burnt) berry tart. My thing is cooking. I am a great cook, I love the spontaneity and (mostly) instant gratification that cooking provides. Baking on the other hand is a science, and I barely passed Consumer Chemistry in college. I decided to go to Tante Marie to learn. Here you will read about my journey...

1 comment:

mattavina said...

came upon this by accident. But I'm currently considering going to Culinary Institute to become a pastry chef. Its kinda late now so I don't have time to read your blog :) Can I ask how it is going for you?