Monday, October 8, 2007

Week 1, Day 1: Cookies, Eclairs and Cream Puffs, Oh My!

Shortbread Tales
Eager and nervous, I walked into Tante Marie and was greeted by my teacher, Jennifer Altman, Pastry Chef of Bay Wolf Restaurant in the Easy Bay. I changed into my new and pressed chef's jacket, checkered pants, and was handed an apron by Mary Risley, Tante Marie's owner and founder. I thanked Mary profusely for allowing me to be in the course, and hoped I made a good impression on her.

Dinner was waiting for us on the counter in the front kitchen, made with the sweat of the Culinary students. I was excited because my friend Jill is in the culinary course and I knew that with her good luck charm of dinner, I'd be ok.

After overviews of Tante Marie by Mary and a course introduction by Jennifer, the 14 of us were asked to introduce ourselves. Many of my classmates had been baking their whole lives, which was intimidating to me because I hadn't even used the mixer I got for my wedding shower! But, I figured, "I can do this. I need to." Most of us were looking to make career changes at some point, but I clearly have the least experience of my classmates.

Our first task was to make cookies, 2 batches each of 7 different cookies, so 2 people were to make the same cookie-I got shortbread, easy enough, I thought, but it was difficult and intimidating! I had a difficult time getting my mise together and organizing my time. These two things worried me because 1) I have great time management skills, and 2) In cooking over the last few years, I always get my mise together before beginning any food project/recipe.

My shortbread got into the oven late, which by Top Chef standards, means disqualification, but hey, I'm learning (though I was extremely disappointed and slightly discouraged).

1 comment:

CalGirl JILL said...

I love the shout out! Sometimes what we make for lunch isn't the best a hours later (I can imagine).

JILL