Monday, October 15, 2007

Homework-All about experimentation

What happens when you add baking soda to a mixture and leave out the acid?

Edit: The mixture tasted kind of soapy, but the texture was fine. I think if I add orange juice I'll be ok.

Actually, my co-worker Alicia and I were the only ones who noticed the off-ness of my pumpkin muffins. Here's what happened. The recipe I used called for 1 tsp of baking soda and 3 oz of orange juice. But the recipe steps said to mix the powder and soda. So, instead of adding 1 tsp of baking soda, I added 1/2 tsp baking soda and 1/2 tsp baking powder (which can act as a leavener without acids) like other recipes in my textbook had. However, I forgot to buy orange juice at the store and was too lazy to juice 3 oz. from real oranges, so I left it out. I think that if I had kept the OJ in, then it would have been better.

* Recipe adapted from a Tante Marie recipe.

I also made Butterscotch Browies and shipped them to Mobile, Alabama for my cousin Shoshana who is in college. They were pretty sinful and my husband is sad I only let him keep 3 brownies. Next time I will add chocolate chips to the batter.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Hi Rach! I just found your blog. As someone who (by default) has inherited the job of making everything my grandmother made from scratch, here's a hint for your next experimentation: Yes, baking is more of a science than cooking but no one ever complains that someone has too much vanilla, cinnamon, or chocolate chips!

Rachel Firestone said...

You are right!!! I was thinking that I would add chocolate chips to that pumpkin recipe.

Unknown said...

Go Rachel! Best of luck to you!

Unknown said...

Go Rachel! Good luck!