Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Week 2, Day 1: The Quick Bread Challenge

Two days, 4 recipes (3 mandatory + 1 bonus). Ready, set, GO!



After Jennifer gave us a lecture and demo of the various mixing methods for quick breads, we were asked to complete a two-day Quick Bread challenge. We were expected to create quick breads that required 3 different types of mixing:

1) The creaming method: Where you cream the butter and sugar, add eggs one at a time, and then add the drys to that stirring until just incorporated (cakes).

2) The biscuit method: Where you combine the drys and cold chunks of butter and incorporate using a bench scraper to get it into a meal and then add liquids (scones, biscuits).

3) The blending method: Preparing the wets and drys separately and then quickly combining them until JUST incorporated (muffins).

I got to work and I felt truly in my groove. I worked with my classmate Kate, and we measured ingredients together and it was a tag-team effort. We really wanted to complete two recipes to present to class on Monday so that on Wednesday we could do a bonus item.

I have to say I rocked it with my biscuits. They looked amazing and I felt great about them. I think my cooking experience really helps me at certain times, especially with organization.

Here are the biscuits I made:
RFPbiscuits.JPG

Rachel's Biscuits.JPG

I also made pumpkin muffins, which turned out well. I am not so into eating muffins, but I was thrilled that they turned out edible and delicious, according to my co-workers standards.

Pumpkin Muffins.JPG

Tonight is the final competition. I am making sour cream coffee cake and currant tea scones. I hope they work out!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Loved all the photos or your yummy pastries! I am tempted to start photographing my own baking, although Lord knows I don't think I would also have time for blogging. You are definitely multi-talented!