Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Sorry for the delay...I was TIRED!

I have kept all 5 readers in suspense and I am sure you are all asking, "What happened on Monday?" Well, the pressure of the kitchen proved to be a little too much for me and I ended up curdling two batches of creme anglaise and not being able to finish the pot de cremes in the oven. As a result, I had to complete all 5 custard elements on Wednesday, and I was in tears during class AND when I got home. It was a disaster. I could not believe that I got so emotional over custard, but I was experiencing bad kitchen karma and felt so disappointed that I couldn't get my custards to work.

Custards are hard to get right because there is a distinct possibility in every batch that the eggs will curdle, leaving you with garbage. And I was so intent on getting it right and completing my tasks, that I was unable to get over my initial failure and move on. We've learned some important lessons in class. 1) Don't kill anyone, 2) Hide your mistakes, and 3) It's just food. You can always start over and you have enough time to get over it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think "1)Don't kill anyone, 2)Hide your mistakes and 3)It's just food" may be my new favorite quote!